21–22 March 2013
Calidas Landmark 72, Hanoi, Viet Nam
Government of Viet Nam
Government of Japan
Government of Australia
Government of Indonesia
ASEAN Working Group on Environmentally Sustainable Cities
- March 21–22, 2012 marked the Fourth High Level Seminar on Environmentally Sustainable Cities (HLS ESC) organised by the Governments of Viet Nam, Japan, Australia, Indonesia, ASEAN Secretariat and the ASEAN Working Group on ESC in Hanoi, Viet Nam.
- The two-day meeting brought together representatives of environment ministries, local governments, international organisations, NGOs, academe and front-line experts on urban environmental management issues in Asia to discuss the ongoing activities on ESC and to foster collaborative actions between stakeholders to achieve ESC under the East Asia Summit collaborative framework.
- National governments reported progress since the end of Year 1 of the ASEAN ESC Model Cities Programme and discussed plans for the second year.
- Thematic Sessions were held on Solid Waste Management, Urban Water and Sanitation as well as Adaptation and Resilience.
- Other topics addressed through Thematic Sessions were Policy and Legal Reform, Co-benefits andLow Carbon Cities. Local governments, NGOs and research institutions exchanged experiences and shared information.
- Delegates discussed potential ways forward and opportunities for collaboration with strong support for sustaining the HLS platform and the Model Cities Programme.